Barry loves all things soup. He could eat soup every day! He loves everything about it. And add some warm bread and he is in heaven! ❤
I made a super simple minestrone soup today and he is going to love it. Now don’t freak out, but I added beef to it. Sorry. Barry loves the minestrone, but he loves meat in his soup. Beef minestrone it is.
BEEF MINESTRONE SOUP
So into the dutch oven:
- 3 cups broth ~ I used veggie today because I had a box open from the other day when I made quinoa
- 1 28 or 35 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 can cannellini beans (navy beans) – oh, and I used 2 cans because Barry LOVES beans
- 1 large or 2 small carrots ~ diced or chopped to desired size ~ I grated a large one into the pot so the pieces would cook down
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- beef cubes ~ browned and seasoned (optional really)
Bring to boil. Reduce to simmer. Cover and allow to cook. Really. No kidding. If you used a Dutch oven, you can put it in the oven on 225 or on top on low. I made this at 2:00 and we will eat at 5:00. This is also perfect for the slow cooker! Low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 if you use the slow cooker.
About 30 minutes before you want to eat it, add ditalini – 2 cups cooked. I will add less because I doubled the beans and Barry prefers that. You can also add zucchini (which Barry detests, so I won’t LOL). And you can also add a box of frozen chopped spinach.
When you are ready to eat, take out the bay leaves!!! And then taste a little, see if it needs anything and add a little more…
To serve you can garnish with grated parmesan and torn basil.
Ok, so while I was in the kitchen I whipped up lunch…chicken salad and avocado slices! Mmmmm…. try the soup. You’ll like it. Time for me to go have lunch and enjoy!