So I decided to make myself move and get some baking in. I have lovely apple bread cooling and I tried one of the new recipes for cookies I mentioned earlier.
Now I am not a baker. So when I say a recipe is simple, you can take it to the bank! And this recipe is easy.
Simple Almond Shortbread Cookies
Here are the ingredients:
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening (this is a half stick if you buy the stick shortening)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- dried fruit of your choice, I used apricots, need 9 – each cut in 4 pieces
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat the butter, shortening, sugar, and the extracts in a large bowl. You can use an electric mixer. I didn’t. I used good old fashioned elbow grease!
- Sprinkle in the nutmeg and mix until incorporated.
- Work in the flour. The dough should be slightly moist, but not sticky.
- Spoon dough by teaspoons and roll into balls.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets. Gently flatten each ball with palm of your hand. Press a fruit piece in the center of each cookie.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden. Cool for about a minute on the baking rack before moving them. Move them to a cooling rack to cool completely before storing.
Now, time for a cup of tea and a shortbread cookie! ENJOY!!